Religion - Christian, nfd
Religion at a glance: Christian, nfd
- In 2011 there were 123,798 people in New South Wales who had a religion of Christian, nfd.
- There was a 42.4% increase in the number of people who had a religion of Christian, nfd since 2006 (from 86,929).
- 6.5% of the population who had a religion of Christian, nfd arrived between 2006 and August 2011.
- There were fewer men who had a religion of Christian, nfd (57,819) than women (65,980).
- 30.7% of the population who had a religion of Christian, nfd were children (under 19 years of age), 35.4% were young adults (aged 20 to 44 years), and 33.9% were older adults (aged 45 years and over).
About religion: Christian, nfd
The earliest known record of Latvian settlement in Australia is 1849. By 1900s many Latvians worked on Australian coastal vessels. More Latvians began to arrive after the abortive 1905 revolution in Russian-controlled Latvia. Until the First World War, Latvian sailors frequently visited Australia on trading ships from Europe and a number of them jumped ship.
Following World War II, 262 Latvians were on board the first Displaced Persons transport ship which arrived in Fremantle on 27 November 1947. The main post-war Latvian immigration cohort was compressed into a five-year period, from the end of 1947 to 1952, during which time 19,700 Latvians entered Australia. Arrivals since the 1950s have been numerically insignificant as emigration from Latvia was strictly controlled by the Soviet authorities. While emigration from Latvia is no longer restricted, there have been few new settlers in Australia since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.
Source: Excerpts from Jupp, J. (Ed.) the Australian People. (2001) Cambridge University
Note: 'Christian, nfd' is a custom grouping of religions from the Australian Standard Classification of Religious Groups ASCRG that includes 'Christian, nfd', 'Apostolic Church, so described', 'Church of God, so described', 'Australian Christian Churches, so described' and 'New Church Alliance, so described'.
|Religion - Top 10 NSW LGAs ranked by size|
|Religion - Christian, nfd||2011||2006||Change|
|Area||Number||Christian, nfd %||Number||Christian, nfd %||2006 to 2011|
|Blue Mountains City||2,364||3.1||1,729||2.3||+635||2|
|Coffs Harbour City||1,849||2.7||1,371||2.1||+478||6|
|Greater Taree City||1,197||2.6||783||1.7||+414||8|
|New South Wales||123,798||1.8||86,929||1.3||+36,869||40|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2006 and 2011. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.