Language - Tongan
Language at a glance: Tongan
- In 2011 there were 9,720 people in New South Wales who spoke Tongan.
- There was a 14.4% increase in the number of people who spoke Tongan since 2006 (from 8,498).
- 9.5% of the population who spoke Tongan arrived between 2006 and August 2011.
- There were fewer men who spoke Tongan (4,689) than women (5,030).
- 32.9% of the population who spoke Tongan were children (under 19 years of age), 39.6% were young adults (aged 20 to 44 years), and 27.5% were older adults (aged 45 years and over).
About language: Tongan
|Language - Top 10 NSW LGAs ranked by size|
|Language - Tongan||2011||2006||Change|
|Area||Number||Tongan %||Number||Tongan %||2006 to 2011|
|Botany Bay City||279||0.7||286||0.8||-7||3|
|New South Wales||9,720||0.1||8,498||0.1||+1,222||40|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2006 and 2011. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.