Language - Cantonese
Language at a glance: Cantonese
- In 2011 there were 136,371 people in New South Wales who spoke Cantonese.
- There was a 5.2% increase in the number of people who spoke Cantonese since 2006 (from 129,603).
- 8.9% of the population who spoke Cantonese arrived between 2006 and August 2011.
- There were fewer men who spoke Cantonese (63,919) than women (72,451).
- 20.6% of the population who spoke Cantonese were children (under 19 years of age), 35.2% were young adults (aged 20 to 44 years), and 44.2% were older adults (aged 45 years and over).
About language: Cantonese
|Language - Top 10 NSW LGAs ranked by size|
|Language - Cantonese||2011||2006||Change|
|Area||Number||Cantonese %||Number||Cantonese %||2006 to 2011|
|New South Wales||136,371||2.0||129,603||2.0||+6,768||40|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2006 and 2011. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.