Language - Afrikaans
Language at a glance: Afrikaans
- In 2011 there were 6,228 people in New South Wales who spoke Afrikaans.
- There was a 72.9% increase in the number of people who spoke Afrikaans since 2006 (from 3,602).
- 44.5% of the population who spoke Afrikaans arrived between 2006 and August 2011.
- There were fewer men who spoke Afrikaans (3,091) than women (3,136).
- 20.9% of the population who spoke Afrikaans were children (under 19 years of age), 47.2% were young adults (aged 20 to 44 years), and 31.9% were older adults (aged 45 years and over).
About language: Afrikaans
|Language - Top 10 NSW LGAs ranked by size|
|Language - Afrikaans||2011||2006||Change|
|Area||Number||Afrikaans %||Number||Afrikaans %||2006 to 2011|
|The Hills Shire||521||0.3||232||0.1||+289||6|
|Hunters Hill Council||30||0.2||5||0.0||+25||10|
|New South Wales||6,228||0.1||3,602||0.1||+2,626||40|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2006 and 2011. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.