Language - African Languages
Year of arrival
In 2011, there were 12,738 people who spoke African Languages living in New South Wales who were born overseas, of which 42% arrived in Australia within 5 years prior to 2011.
Year of Arrival data identifies when the overseas born population arrived in Australia. As source countries for Australia's immigration program have varied significantly over time, the dominant year of arrival for people speaking different languages can also vary significantly.
Derived from the Census questions:
- 'In what year did the person first arrive in Australia to live here for one year or more?'
- 'Does the person speak a language other than English at home?'
- NSW overseas born population
- Population who speak African Languages
|Year of arrival|
|Language - African Languages||2011|
|Year of arrival in Australia||Number||African Languages %||% of total NSW population|
|2006 to 9 Aug 2011||5,372||42.2||19.2||401|
|2001 to 2005||4,335||34.0||11.4||402|
|1991 to 2000 (10 year period)||1,749||13.7||17.9||403|
|1981 to 1990 (10 year period)||596||4.7||16.5||404|
|1971 to 1980 (10 year period)||144||1.1||11.4||405|
|1961 to 1970 (10 year period)||80||0.6||11.0||406|
|Arrived in 1960 or earlier||8||0.1||8.3||407|
|Total persons born overseas||12,738||100.0||100.0|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2006 and 2011. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
(Usual residence data)
Compiled and presented by .id, the population experts.
Analysis of the year of arrival for New South Wales population who speak African Languages compared to the total population shows that in 2011 there was a smaller proportion of people who arrived before 2001, and a larger proportion of recent overseas arrivals (those who arrived between 2006 and 2011).
In NSW, the major differences between the year of arrival of African Languages speaking population compared to the total population were:
- A larger percentage of arrivals between 2006 to 9 Aug 2011 (42.2% compared to 19.2%)
- A larger percentage of arrivals between 2001 to 2005 (34.0% compared to 11.4%)
- A smaller percentage of arrivals between 1981 to 1990 (10 year period) (4.7% compared to 16.5%)
- A smaller percentage of arrivals between 1961 to 1970 (10 year period) (0.6% compared to 11.0%)