Birthplace - Bangladesh
Year of arrival
In 2011, 17,007 people born in Bangladesh were living in New South Wales, of which 40% arrived in Australia within 5 years prior to 2011.
The Year of Arrival data records when the overseas born population arrived in Australia. As source countries for Australia's immigration program have varied significantly over time, the dominant year of arrival for people born in different countries can also vary significantly.
Derived from the Census questions:
- 'In what year did the person first arrive in Australia to live here for one year or more?'
- 'In which country was the person born?'
- NSW overseas born population
- Population born in Bangladesh
|Year of arrival|
|Birthplace - Bangladesh||2011|
|Year of arrival in Australia||Number||Bangladesh %||% of total NSW population|
|2006 to 9 Aug 2011||6,826||40.1||19.2||401|
|2001 to 2005||4,705||27.7||11.4||402|
|1991 to 2000 (10 year period)||4,013||23.6||17.9||403|
|1981 to 1990 (10 year period)||810||4.8||16.5||404|
|1971 to 1980 (10 year period)||174||1.0||11.4||405|
|1961 to 1970 (10 year period)||21||0.1||11.0||406|
|Arrived in 1960 or earlier||4||0.0||8.3||407|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2006 and 2011. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
(Usual residence data)
Compiled and presented by .id, the population experts.
Analysis of the year of arrival for New South Wales Bangladesh overseas born population compared to the total popluation shows that in 2011 there was a smaller proportion of people who arrived before 2001, and a larger proportion of recent overseas arrivals (those who arrived between 2006 and 2011).
In NSW, the major differences between the year of arrival of Bangladesh born population compared to the total population were:
- A larger percentage of arrivals between 2006 to 9 Aug 2011 (40.1% compared to 19.2%)
- A larger percentage of arrivals between 2001 to 2005 (27.7% compared to 11.4%)
- A smaller percentage of arrivals between 1981 to 1990 (10 year period) (4.8% compared to 16.5%)
- A smaller percentage of arrivals between 1961 to 1970 (10 year period) (0.1% compared to 11.0%)