Ancestry - Afghan
Year of arrival
In 2011, there were 7,310 people with Afghan ancestry living in New South Wales who were born overseas, of which 21% arrived in Australia within 5 years prior to 2011.
The Year of Arrival data records when the overseas born population arrived in Australia. The data provides a historical view of how the ethnic composition of Australia communities has changed over time. Some ancestral groups arrived early in Australia’s settlement history, others more recently, and some have maintained a steady arrival pattern throughout our history.
Derived from the Census questions:
- 'In what year did the person first arrive in Australia to live here for one year or more?'
- 'What is the person's ancestry?'(multi-response)
- NSW overseas born population
- Population with Afghan ancestry
|Year of arrival|
|Ancestry - Afghan||2011|
|Year of arrival in Australia||Number||Afghan %||% of total NSW population|
|2006 to 9 Aug 2011||1,568||21.5||19.2||401|
|2001 to 2005||1,836||25.1||11.4||402|
|1991 to 2000 (10 year period)||2,710||37.1||17.9||403|
|1981 to 1990 (10 year period)||895||12.2||16.5||404|
|1971 to 1980 (10 year period)||97||1.3||11.4||405|
|1961 to 1970 (10 year period)||8||0.1||11.0||406|
|Arrived in 1960 or earlier||3||0.0||8.3||407|
|Total people born overseas||7,310||100.0||100.0|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2006 and 2011. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
(Usual residence data)
Compiled and presented by .id, the population experts.
Analysis of the year of arrival for New South Wales Afghan ancestry population compared to the total population shows that in 2011 there was a smaller proportion of people who arrived before 2001, and a larger proportion of recent overseas arrivals (those who arrived between 2006 and 2011).
In NSW, the major differences between the year of arrival of Afghan ancestry population compared to the total population were:
- A larger percentage of arrivals between 1991 to 2000 (10 year period) (37.1% compared to 17.9%)
- A larger percentage of arrivals between 2001 to 2005 (25.1% compared to 11.4%)
- A smaller percentage of arrivals between 1961 to 1970 (10 year period) (0.1% compared to 11.0%)
- A smaller percentage of arrivals between 1971 to 1980 (10 year period) (1.3% compared to 11.4%)